IFTD postpones this year’s show amid COVID-19 concerns
Article Media Click images to enlarge +
The American Fly Fishing Trade Association (AFFTA) has postponed this year’s IFTD show in Denver, Colorado.
Its President, Ben Bulis, said in a statement that in view of the completely unpredictable path of the COVID-19 virus and length of the industry’s – and nation’s – social and economic recovery, it has elected to take decisive action to protect the association’s people and businesses.
He said: “Make no mistake, this was an exceedingly difficult decision for the AFFTA Board. We are in completely uncharted waters, but we promise to be as diligent and as responsive as possible in leading our industry through these tough times.”
Bulis added that the factors it considered to arrive at this decision included:
• The safety and health of every last member of the industry;
• The length of time that preventative measures will be in place is unknown;
• The industry’s uncertain financial picture today and in the future;
• With the economic loss the industry is facing, AFFTA does not want members to incur the cost of travel, lodging and time away from businesses to attend IFTD.
The solutions it is currently working on include:
• Logistics for how exhibitor deposits are handled;
• Working with its show vendors, hotels, registration and the convention centre to postpone IFTD to 2021;
• Developing useful category-specific business resources;
• Opening ‘live’ lines of communication;
• Bringing the fly fishing community together via alternative channels.
Bulis added: “You will hear from us directly in the coming days, weeks and months as we navigate Covid-19 together. In the meantime, we have created a resource page with up-to-date information on Federal, State and local relief efforts: affta.org/pages/covidresources
“Things are changing on a daily basis. We will share what we learn as soon as we have new information. If you have any questions, please feel free to get in touch with me directly.
“We ask for your patience as we work through this process. We understand that this is a difficult time and will do everything we can to take care of each and every one of you.”
IFTD was due to take place from October 7th to 9th.