ICAST: Shimano eyeing awards glory with new launches
Article Media Click images to enlarge +
Shimano North America scooped a hat-trick of awards at last year’s ICAST and is looking to repeat the feat in Orlando.
The Japanese fishing tackle manufacturing giant scooped prizes in the Fly Rod (G.Loomis), Saltwater Rod and Freshwater Rod categories in 2011 says it has an equally impressive array of new products to put before the judges in the New Product Showcase this time round. These include:
- An upgrade to its Calcutta baitcasting reel range with the introduction of the Calcutta D with new Shimano features that include X-Ship, X-Drag and ‘S Compact Body’ design;
- New Saros and Symetre spinning reel series;
- Talica 20 BFC (Billfish Concept) to target tournament sailfish and white marlin anglers;
- Crucial ‘Umbrella-Rig’ Rod;
- Tallus B saltwater rods;
- New walleye rods – both jigging and trolling – in the Compre, Clarus and Convergence series;
- OCRA top-water pencil saltwater lures as part of the new Orca Fishing System;
- New ‘Lifestyle Gear’, including Bhaltair reel bags, Baraja tackle binders, Borona tackle bags and a whole new selection of Shimano apparel.
- G.Loomis has not been left out of the equation either with the following:
- GLX flipping and casting rods with better fishability – 35% stronger and still as sensitive;
- NRX fly rod expansion to include new ‘Light Presentation’ 3, 4, and 5 weight and 3 and 4 weight Czech Nymph rods;
- Spey/Scandi two-handed rods;
- Pro-1 one-piece 8, 9, 10, 11, 12;
- G. Loomis wading jackets – Native Run 2L and Max 3L with T-Core LX technology.
Shimano spokesman, John Mazurkiewicz, admitted that he would be disappointed if a number of its star-studded innovations did not pick up awards at ICAST.
He said: “The main reason we are at ICAST is to assist dealers with their needs and help them increase sales, but getting exposure through the media and in the New Product Showcase (NPS) are also key. Success in the New Product Showcase gives us another element to focus on within our new product introduction strategy.
“Our product guys get excited by that and it definitely helps sales. Being the best at ICAST has gravity and builds added awareness at both the dealer and angler levels..
“There’s instant interest in all the new products at ICAST and the NPS award-winnners – media and tackle retailer websites are buzzing with info before the show even closes on the first day, and by Friday, what’s new in fishing tackle is really the main topic of conversation among anglers not only nationwide, but worldwide. That’s the type of impact ICAST has on the fishing industry – it’s a great marketing tool in so many ways.
Mazurkiewicz added that Shimano was looking forward to welcoming customers from different regions of the US after two years in Las Vegas. “There will be a good influx of east coast retailers and we also expect visitors from South and Central America where we have experienced growth, particularly Brazil and Argentina.
“However, from a manufacturer’s point of view it does not really matter where the show is held as long as people come and sales are made.”
BUSINESS CONTACTS: Tel: + 1949 470 4199 Web: www.shimano.com
ICAST BOOTH No.151, 157, 251 & 351.