Coronavirus: Top European outdoor show cancelled
Article Media Click images to enlarge +
The OutDoor by ISPO 2020 show is among the latest European exhibitions to be struck off the calendar due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
The show was due to take place from June 28 to July 1 in Munich – two weeks after EFTTEX, which at the time of writing was still scheduled to take place in Prague from June 11 to 13.
A statement on the OutDoor by ISPO website said the decision had been taken following the recommendation of the Bavarian State Government and the health authorities and in agreement with the European Outdoor Group trade association to protect the health of exhibitors and visitors. Exhibitors were also consulted.
“Under these circumstances it is not reasonable to go ahead – for health and economic reasons,” said Klaus Dittrich, Chairman and CEO of Messe München, the show’s organiser.
Mark Held, the President of the European Outdoor Group, said: “The outdoor industry is facing unprecedented stress due to the COVID-19 pandemic. We believe that cancelling OutDoor by ISPO 2020 will free up much-needed company resources that can be used to support employees, retailers and other stakeholders along the supply chain.
“The more we can do now to protect everyone involved, the better equipped we will be once this crisis is over. Then Outdoor by ISPO 2021 will offer a key platform for the entire industry and will set standards for the economic comeback.”
The next OutDoor by ISPO will be held in summer 2021.