Salmo Hornet named as top walleye crankbait of all time
Article Media Click images to enlarge +
The Salmo Hornet is number one among the Top Ten Walleye Crankbaits of All Time, according to the US magazine In-Fisherman.
The lure scored highly for its versatile movement, which can be varied from a subtle shaking action when retrieved slow and steady, to an erratic thumping when fast-tracked.
Says In-Fisherman: “The floating option is great for trolling, whether pounding bottom in three feet of water on a short lead behind a planer board, or dredging the depths across a summer mudflat. And the near bullet-proof, high-density foam body stands up to plenty of hard hits. The sinking version is perfect for snap-pause casting and for counting down to deep structure.”
Second in the prestigious countdown is the Sebile Rattsler, with the VLL (very long lip) model singled out as the best choice for walleye. The commotion created by the lure, a combination of water displacement and a raucous rattle, received praise from the In-Fisherman, as did its tilting, wiggling action.
The Cotton Cordell Wally Diver, though sometimes pigeon-holed as a trolling bait, also impressed for casting and twitched, dived and shimmered its way into third place in the top 10. The suspending version drew particular admiration, especially when spiced up with pauses and pulls on the retrieve.
In-Fisherman’s full top 10 is:
- 1. Salmo Hornet (www.salmofishing.com).
- 2. Sebile Rattsler (www.sebileusa.com).
- 3. Cotton Cordell Wally Diver (www.lurenet.com).
- 4. Bomber Model A (www.bomberlures.com).
- 5. Berkley Flicker Shad (www.berkley-fishing.com).
- 6. Storm Original Hot N’ Tot (www.stormlures.com).
- 7. Lindy Shading (www.lindyfishingtackle.com).
- 8. Koppers LiveTarget Threadfin Shad (www.livetargetlures.com).
- 9. Rapala Shad Rap (www.rapala.com).
- 10. Reef Runner Rip Shad (www.reefrunner.com).